Each year, SF Camerawork stages six to eight major exhibitions featuring photography, video, digital media, and film. Additionally, public programming in conjunction with exhibitions often includes performances, screenings, readings, and lectures. Camerawork’s program calendar, conceptualized and organized by Camerawork’s Curator, Curatorial Council, and guest curators, is scheduled 18—24 months in advance.
Submissions should contain the following:
1. Up to 20 digital images formatted as JPEG files, not to exceed 800 x 600 pixels, 180 dpi. Please label each image file with your name and a number that corresponds to an annotated image list (see #3).
2. Up to three DVDs with up to three works (or excerpts of works). There is no duration limit. Please label the file with your name and a number that corresponds to an annotated image list (see #3).
3. An annotated image list (PDF or Word document) to correspond with visual support materials. Please include the numeral corresponding to each image or video, the title, series (if applicable), year, medium, and a brief description of each work.
4. Relevant printed materials including brochures, publications, books, etc.
5. For websites and web-based work, please submit a list of URLs.
6. A current resume or curriculum vitae and artist statement (PDF or Word documents). Your artist statement should describe your work in a simple and straightforward manner, and should not exceed one page.
7. A self-addressed stamped envelope. Submissions will not be returned without an SASE.
**Do not submit original artwork.
Please send your submissions to:
Chuck Mobley, Director
1011 Market Street, Second Floor
San Francisco, CA
For inquiries regarding appointments with Camerawork’s Curator, please phone the gallery. Due to staff and time limitations, though, it is not always possible to schedule a meeting.
Camerawork’s Curator and Curatorial Council review submissions three times per year. Due to the high number of submissions we receive, the turnaround time is three to six months.
Please contact Chuck Mobley, Director at 415.487.1011